Happy anniversary to the following very very important aspects of South Perth’s history! (There are so many more that we could celebrate but I thought I would just give you a snippet!)
- On 9 June 1892, the South Perth Road Board was formed by taking its ‘suburban’ areas from the City of Perth.
- The South Perth Road Board met for the first time on 19 September 1892.
- South Perth became a municipality on 21 February 1902.
- On 1 March 1912, the management of the Mends Street to Perth ferry service came under the WA Government.
- South Perth became a road district on 1 March 1922.
- On 5 August 1922, the East Perth – South Perth tram line (terminating Angelo Street & Labouchere Road) opened.
- The opening of St Columba’s Church, Forrest Street, South Perth.
- Canning Road (fmr Fremantle Road) became Canning Highway.
- On 19 September 1952, the new Perth Causeway was completed.
- Southcare was established in Manning.
- On 9 May 1982 the Mt Henry Bridge opened.
Have you seen Ancestry.com advertised on television and thought ‘gee, I’d like to see what I can find out about my family’s history!’
Well, I have some really awesome news for you…
If you are a member of South Perth Libraries, you can visit Manning or South Perth Library and access Ancestry – Library Edition on one of our computers for free! Nada, zilch…you get it.
South Perth Libraries have heaps of other free databases that can be accessed from home or in our Libraries. Check them out!
***Screwing your face up at the screen right now and thinking ‘what even is Ancestry?’ check out their Australian website.
Were you on the foreshore on Saturday morning? If you weren’t, then this is what you missed out on!
Toying with the idea of beginning your family history?
Keen to understand those databases you see advertised on TV that might provide some awesome leads in your research?
Or do you just want to know how to utilise some of these whiz-bang electronics to preserve your special photographs and documents?
There are some fantastic free workshops if you would like to learn a little about these things, or perhaps you just feel like getting historically enlightened!
Check out WA’s National Family History Week events and South Perth Library’s Introduction to Oral History presentation!
27 July – 5 August is National Family History Week. Yes!!! Come join us at South Perth Library for an Introduction to Oral History presentation to celebrate. Details in the flyer below…