Happy anniversary to the following very very important aspects of South Perth’s history! (There are so many more that we could celebrate but I thought I would just give you a snippet!)
- On 9 June 1892, the South Perth Road Board was formed by taking its ‘suburban’ areas from the City of Perth.
- The South Perth Road Board met for the first time on 19 September 1892.
- South Perth became a municipality on 21 February 1902.
- On 1 March 1912, the management of the Mends Street to Perth ferry service came under the WA Government.
- South Perth became a road district on 1 March 1922.
- On 5 August 1922, the East Perth – South Perth tram line (terminating Angelo Street & Labouchere Road) opened.
- The opening of St Columba’s Church, Forrest Street, South Perth.
- Canning Road (fmr Fremantle Road) became Canning Highway.
- On 19 September 1952, the new Perth Causeway was completed.
- Southcare was established in Manning.
- On 9 May 1982 the Mt Henry Bridge opened.