Ernest Johnson Oval is situated behind the South Perth Civic Center, Library and Hall. This 6 hectares (approx.) of land was named for Ernest J Johnson, in recognition of his service to the South Perth Road Board as Secretary/Town Clerk. Johnson was the Clerk of the Road Board from 1932-1964.
Before being referred to as EJ Oval, the reserve was first known as Sandgate Street Reserve, followed by South Perth Oval.
The oval and hall is used for many recreational purposes, including football, little athletics, scouts and personal training.