The South Perth Council has gone through many changes over the years starting from its early beginnings as a Road Board District after branching off from the City of Perth in 1892. This was followed by its establishment as a:
- Municipality from 1902-1922,
- Road Board again from 1922-1956,
- Municipality again from 1956-1959,
- City in 1959.
The Council’s Photoboards are a record of the Chairmen, Town Clerks, Mayors, Council Officers and Councillors who have served the South Perth Council since its inception.
Until now, the 39 original photoboards that have survived have been safely stored in the City’s Local History Archive Collection, while a select few have been on display in the Council’s Reception Room.
In 2013, the City supported Local History in providing an opportunity to digitise 27 of these photoboards for preservation purposes and in order to make them available online.
This newly launched online collection of Council Photoboards highlights the growth of the Council through its numerous transitions over the years and can now be viewed on the web through Picture South Perth:
Stay tuned for more information about an upcoming exhibition to see some of the original photoboards!